Line Item Properties: An extremely valuable but lesser known data field option
Line item properties are a powerful tool for Shopify developers and store owners looking to add custom collection and display of information for their websites. Here are a few ways that you can use line item properties to build custom frontend functionality:
- Custom product options: Line item properties can be used to add custom options to products that are not available in the default product fields. For example, you could use line item properties to create a custom "engraving" option for a product, where customers can enter their own text to be engraved on the product.
- Customized cart and checkout pages: Line item properties can be used to display additional information on the cart and checkout pages, such as custom options or product notes such as "FINAL SALE". This can be useful for providing customers with more information about the products they are purchasing.
- Customized order email templates: Line item properties can be used to customize email templates by adding additional data about the products in the order that are not available in the default email template fields. This can help create more personalized emails for customers.
- Customized order details page: Line item properties can be used to display additional information on the order details page in the customer's account. This can be useful for providing customers with more information about their order, such as custom options, product notes, product manuals or download links, etc.
- Storing data for use in apps: Line item properties can be used to store data that is needed by apps or custom integrations. For example, you could use line item properties to store information about a product that is needed by a custom pricing app or used by Shopify Flow to trigger a post purchase automation.
While not commonly known, line item properties are a useful tool for Shopify developers and we've found many uses for them over the years to help solve unique client requirements and deliver more unique customer experiences.
If you're considering whether line item properties might be a good fit for your custom Shopify needs, feel free to reach out and we'll be happy to set up a time to discuss possible solutions.
Here are some additional links related to Shopify Line Item Properties: